Saturday, April 18, 2015

Great White Shark Cage Diving in South Africa



Do not be misled by how they call it.. We did not really dive!

In Gansbaai, South Africa.. at the Atlantic Ocean..

We wore wet suits to be protected from the cold..

Great White Shark Cage Diving, Gansbaai, South Africa

Held on to the railings really tight when taking pictures.. Because no one would ever want to accidentally slip into that water..

7 people at a time.. Got down inside a cage attached to the side of the catamaran..

Put on our masks.. And yes.. I know! I look so funny!! :)

Great White Shark Cage Diving, Gansbaai, South Africa

Waited for the guide to shout.. "Down to your left!" "Down to the middle!" "Stay down!"

Sucked in all the air we could and submersed into the water..

Felt like I was just dreaming.. Really.. the Great White Sharks!!

Floated our heads back up to quickly breathe.. and back into the water..

No oxygen tanks involved.. No diver's license needed ;)

We were in the cage for about 15 to 20 minutes at a time.. taking turns as there were 28 of us..

Great White Shark Cage Diving, Gansbaai, South Africa

We could keep going back into the cage for as many times as we wanted..

I got in 3 times.. and stopped just because I got exhausted from holding my breath..

Must have been at least 7 sharks teased with a seal decoy and some meat..

And if you're wondering if I was scared..

Inside the cage, there were yellow railings.. and we had to make sure all our body parts were inside those..

Sounds easy? No.. because under the water.. my legs floated freely.. so I had to constantly check where they were..

I was not scared of the sharks because I knew they could not get into the cage..

But I was scared of accidentally feeding them my dangling legs! :)

---

Here is a 1-minute video clip of our incredible experience..

I hope you enjoy.. and get the chance to do it, too! :)


Related post: Cape Peninsula, South Africa

---------------------------
References:

Shark Cage Diving Day Tour - Around USD 140 - www.sharkcagediving.net
We stayed in Cape Town, 2 hours away from Gansbaai - transport was arranged with the tour operator

No comments:

Post a Comment